Thursday, August 02, 2007

One hundred a week

Today I dispensed a prescription for 100 co-codamol 30/500 to a lady who has been getting increasing amounts on prescription.

When I checked her records I could see that she had recently started to get 100 tablets a week which is way over the recommended limit of 8 tablets a day. When I queried this with her she happily told me that she was only taking 8 a day, and that her dad was also taking them.

So later I rang her GP to check he knew what was going on since this surgery has a really good ‘over-use’ alert on their system and I was surprised that it hadn’t been picked up at their end.

I told the GP what the patient had said and pointed out how often these scripts were being issued. When he checked he said that they hadn’t picked up on this due to the way in which the drug had been entered onto the system. He was very grateful for the call.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found out through a MUR that this particular patient doesn't even share one of the medicines prescribed for him on a repeat basis, he just posts them to Irak to a relative that was assessed by the local iraqui doctor who happened to recommend the medicine that this patient once needed.The provision of Healthcare in Irak seems to be in a very precarious situation given the circumstances and I appreciated this patient's sincerity (knowing that I would share this information with the GP)Nevertheless this is me now feeling pretty uncomfortable about notifying the GP on monday and imagining the impact this might have in someone else's health/life

8:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home