Thursday, July 05, 2007

Methotrexate interventions

Made a couple of good interventions this week with methotrexate, and on both occasions I gave the patients copies of the recently published NPSA methotrexate PIL which is excellent in my opinion.

* The first patient had just been initiated on methotrexate from the hospital and had brought in his FP10(HP) to be dispensed. So I spent some time with him going through the NPSA PIL and making sure he already had his monitoring book, etc. He was really pleased when he left.

* The second patient had been prescribed a course of penicillin for a skin infection. Patients on methotrexate should usually be prescribed erythromycin for skin infections but that had been tried and had failed. But I contacted the GP anyway and we agreed to ask the patient to reduce his methotrexate dose for the next two weeks in order to try to avoid any toxicity.

I also gave him the NPSA PIL so that he could clearly see which side effects to look out for. Again, he was really pleased with the service.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess with methotrexate you have to excercise extra caution. Well done!!!
I made a mistake once-instead of dispensing methotrexate and folic acid, i dispensed methotrexate twice. I am grateful i had someone who checked my work carefully despite having a stock bottle with both drugs infront of him. So my advice would be check your work over and over again when it comes to this medications, also give approprite advice to the patient to watch out for signs of infections-sore throat, easy bruising etc.
Thanks Dee for your blog, i am a avid reader

7:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home